Based in San Diego, CA
March 31, 2015 (PS4 Americas + Steam) + April 2015 (PS4 EU)
DescriptionPaperbound is a smash-up brawler from the mind of a former Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare developer that combines platforming, twitchy combat, and gravity redirection in a competitive couch multiplayer setting. Between one and four players (with AI bots added in the mix) run with scissors, walk on walls, and lob ink bombs in whimsical-yet-intense battles within the pages of old books. In addition to the 360 degrees of gravitational freedom, several other twists add to the tension and drama of a match, such as the "escape through the page tear" victory mechanic which brings a second phase to the combat and causes players to momentarily team up with their adversaries. Paperbound. Smashy, smashy fun for up to four friends in the same room.
- Free-form environments. Go anywhere! Up! Down! Sideways!.
- Four-player competitive multiplayer. Inception meets Smash Bros.
- Challenging AI for those "I drink alone" days or for rounding out uneven teams
- Multiple game modes such as Classic Versus, Capture the Quill, Longer Live the King, and Last Man Standing
- Battle inside 5 books: Journey to the Center of the Earth, The Book of the Dead, A Book of Five Rings, Skull Kingdom, and Dante's Inferno
- Three weapons that all interact with each other. Reflect scissors and with swords. Detonate ink bombs with scissors, and more.
- Play as one of 11 characters from ancient books
- Playable characters from other indie games including Guacamelee!, VVVVVV, Monaco, Cards and Castles, and Tumblestone
- Dissident Logic grants full monetization rights to anyone wishes to create videos of Paperbound or stream it live.
Pre-release Trailer YouTube
Logo & Icon
Awards & Recognition
- "Finalist - Seattle Indie Game Competition" Seattle, WA
- "Indie Prize Showcase Selection" Amsterdam
- ""the real test is going to be getting people to leave your house once they’ve started playing""
- Chandler Wood, playstationlifestyle.net
- "We're probably running over time, but let's just have another game because this is good."
- Danny O'Dwyer, gamespot.com
- "We got up close and personal with the game at PAX East 2014, and it was so much fun, we had to double back to get a second go-round with the game."
- Nick Harley, denofgeek.us
- "Paperbound is a new and inventive local multiplayer fighting game"
- Ethan V, gamnesia.com
- "We think this game is going to be the digital-only sleeper hit of 2014."
- John Saavedra, Den of Geek
- "It’s a gorgeous and fast-paced game"
- Ben Barrett, rockpapershotgun.com
- "Smash Bros. on crack"
- Dave Cook, vg247.com
- ""While already fun to play and incredibly addicting, Dan Holbert ofDissident Logic told me that he is planning to add a few dozen more levels to the game, making for a surefire dorm-room hit""
- Dan Shay, The Horn
- ""One of the most unique and hard-to-put down games I’ve ever played""
- Mariah Beckman, Gizorama
Request Press Copy
Please fill in your e-mail address below and we'll get back to you as soon as a press copy is available for you.
Alternatively, you can always request a press copy by sending us a quick email.
About Dissident Logic
A game studio dedicated to creating new experiences which are awesome enough that people are willing to pay for them. Dissident Logic was founded by Daniel Holbert, who had an nice run as an engine programmer for High Moon Studios for six years. But AAA development could neither satisfy creative impulses, and Dissident Logic was formed. Dissident Logic grants full monetization rights to anyone wishes to create videos of any of our products or stream them live.
More information on Dissident Logic, our logo & relevant media are available here.
2D, 3D Environment Art
2D Environment Art
Chris White, White Noise Wave
Music and Sound
3D Environment Art
Jose Emroca Flores